Saturday, May 12, 2018

Disney Movie Madness

I am sure you saw the disney movie bracket that went viral during March Madness. If you have not seen it yet, here it is...
The bracket is awesome and fun. There is one problem with this bracket though. It does not include some of the best movies of all-time on the Disney side. It does not include any movies before the Disney Renaissance. It was a successful time period for Disney, but they made movies before then. They made so many wonderful classic movies.
While I enjoyed that little bracket I set out to create my own bracket that included the classics.
My improved bracket isn't as pretty, but it gets the job done.
I decided to separate the bracket by eras. This was done so more movies could be included. It also seemed foolish to seperate it into Disney v. Pixar because Pixar has less than 20 movies. There were a few choices that had to be made on what to leave out in order to separate it by eras. A lot of classics meant that The Rescuers was left out. However, The Rescuers Down Under was included with the Disney Renaissance. A lot of wonderful movies got included now that were left out before. The seeding was done by what I think the more popular movies are at this time. Snow White got a automatic pass to a #1 seed because its the original movie. #Respect

Below are our filled out brackets with Noland Jr. 1st.....
The Lion King was the ultimate champion for Noland Jr. and it has been his favorite movie for quite some time. He is also really into the Cars movies as you can see. Cars and Cars 3 both made it into his Final Four and Jr. had those movies going further than any of us did. He said that the toughest decision of his bracket was The Jungle Book or the original Cars. His most surprising choice to us was that he picked Inside Out over Coco. We all loved Coco and I had it going much further than he did. Junior also had the original Toy Story out super early which was odd to me.
His reasoning was "Buzz is mean to Woody in that one." 5 year olds and how they rationalize things......

My bracket is next
The Jungle Book is my all-time favorite Disney movie. My favorite being left off the original bracket was my biggest inspiration for creating the bracket as I did. It is always a tough choice for me between Lion King and Jungle Book as I consider them 1a and 1b of Disney movies instead of 1 and 2. That being said, Jungle Book does have a slight edge. My #3 movie is actually Pinocchio, but that movie couldn't make the Final Four because it had to be knocked out by Jungle Book in the Disney Classics section of the bracket. As I told you with Jr.'s bracket, Coco got over big with my family and made it into my Final Four. I'm the only one that had it going as far as I did, but I just loved this family-oriented Disney movie. Coco is my favorite Pixar movie of them all, even beating out Toy Story. That one is a close call though.

You will probably notice a few wins that would be considered upsets in my bracket. I talked about how we respect Snow White and all agree it should be a one seed. Then both Jr. and I have The Fox and the Hound upsetting Snow White. While we respect the movie and that it started it all, it is nowhere near the favorite of any of us. It gets knocked out by a superior movie in our book. Just like Noland I move Dumbo (a top 10 Disney movie) into my Sweet 16. I had Princess and the Frog and Wreck It-Ralph both going to the Elite 8 and farther than most would have them. They are both terrific movies that I absolutely loved. Finally, my toughest decision for the bracket was Brother Bear over Finding Nemo. The story and characters of Nemo are timeless and I adore the movie. That being said, you can see I went Brother Bear. To me, Brother Bear, is the most underrated Disney movie. It is a true classic and a Top 5 movie of Disney. Finding Nemo is top 10, but not top 5 to me. I felt like I should go Finding Nemo, but Brother Bear I enjoy more. I put Brother Bear in my Final Four.

It's Eli's turn







Let's start with the obvious here. What is that scratched out at the top of Eli's page? Did we actually have to write his name more than once?

Of course, we didn't mess up intentionally. Noland Jr. tried to write his brother's name and messed up so we wanted to make sure it was correct before we posted. We thought about starting fresh, but the whole save the environment thing + it shows we are not perfect.

Anyways, onto the bracket. Eli is obsessed with The Jungle Book, so that was the obvious winner before we even started. The only question was how he would fill out the rest of the bracket. His favorite non- Jungle Book character is Baymax, so it makes sense that Big Hero 6 would make it all the way to the final. He also really likes Goofy and he had A Goofy Movie going much further than any of us did. His biggest change from the group is that he is the only one of us who picked Monsters Inc. over Brother Bear. Eli loves Monsters Inc. he likes it a lot better than the rest of us. He thinks Mike and Sulley are so funny and laughs whenever he sees them. All of us had this movie losing the 1st round, but Eli took it all the way to the Final Four. We enjoy the movie a lot more when Eli is around! I'm curious how far he would have taken Monsters University if it didn't have to go up against Big Hero 6.

Now, the wonderful Jenna
Jenna's is clearly the prettiest bracket. She has such better handwriting than I do and wrote out some nice reasons for her picks. You can tell The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was her #1 choice of all Disney movies. She selected this because it is such a nice movie of by far her favorite character. This 1977 classic was far better than the 2011 version which lost in an opening round matchup to Frozen. The original has really stood the test of time and cemented Pooh as a classic Disney character. There is even a ride of the movie at Walt Disney World. An amazing ride that our family loves (that might show up on a future bracket soon...)

Jenna also had Brother Bear making the Final 4, so you can really see the wait the movie holds in our house. You can also see the female influence Jenna brings as opposed to us as she has many princess movies going further than us. She had Moana making the Final 4, Cinderella making the Sweet 16, Beauty and the Beast in the Elite 8, and Sleeping Beauty winning period which none of us had.

Jenna also had the Lion King making the Final Four. That movie is the only movie that advanced into all of our Final Fours. It also won the bracket for Noland Jr. However, with Jungle Book winning mine and Eli's brackets, which is the ultimate champion. If you go by most rounds advanced, it is a straight up tie. So our ultimate champions are both the Jungle Book and the Lion King for this family. The 1a and 1b movies of the Robinson household.
We might have a few more brackets with characters from Lion King or Jungle Book related stories, so please stay tuned. Trust in Me that we have a lot more great brackets to come.....

What do you pick?
What do you think of our picks?
What other brackets do you want us to do?
Leave us a comment and let us know!!
We will have a Super Hero bracket up in a few days for you!!!!

-Noland

No comments:

Post a Comment